Wednesday, March 23, 2005

e-mail exchange with edo after his scathing criticism of me

Hi Tom,
I'm glad that your conversation sorted some effects. You reacted to my
complaints with your email and this is still a good sign. I think that the
metaphor of being wrapped in a plastic film is quite powerful and certainly
describes what you feel. Life can make us indifferent. This is a matter of
fact. Freud believed that this was a way to survive. So I don't blame you,
rather I understand you. Yet, I believe that you can make something better and
try to unwrap yourself. I'm sure you can make it.
Love,
edo


Quoting TP Calverley :

Hi,
Glad to see you in a better mood and better spirits tonight, even if your
improved state meant you were able to put me in my place.
It was quite
a shock to realise how I have been behaving, but I totally
accept your criticism.
I think I've gradually been turning into someone I don't want
to be. I know
you think these are skills I haven't developed yet, but if you
had known me
a couple of years ago you would have known someone much more
caring who
was willing to put himself out for his friends. I don't know quite
why, but I
feel like there's a layer of plastic around my soul, and I'm less
able to care,
more distant from other people and I find myself thinking
calculating
Machievellian thoughts. I had been focusing on the academic
consequences
of my selfishness and laziness but I hadn't realised what a
shitty friend, and
person, I had become.

Anyway, I am glad you pointed out the problem, and I am going to try to address
this. However, I do think next time we meet we should avoid the coffee and the
intense analysis, and just go see a film or something, if you're feeling up for it.
Take care and enjoy your parents' visit
Tom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home